Re: Glibc - Segmentation Fault

To: sadarul.firos@nestgroup.net
Subject: Re: Glibc - Segmentation Fault
From: Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 23:33:43 +0900 (JST)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:04:25 +0530, "Sadarul Firos"
<sadarul.firos@nestgroup.net> wrote:
> I'm performing continuous reboot test on a MIPS based board running
> linux-2.6.18/glibc-2.3.5/gcc-3.3.6. After several hours of rebooting
> (say after 80, purely random) I've observed Segmentation fault or
> Illegal instruction error while starting the udevd and ntpd programs
> during the startup. The error appears pretty much random, it doesn't
> usually take more than an hour or two to catch an instance of the
> Segfault.
> 11. Changed the order of invocation of the programs udevd and ntpd.
> Previously, in the init scripts, udevd was started first and ntpd was
> called somewhere near the last stage of init scripts. Now ntpd is
> started immediately after invoking udevd. Surprisingly, the frequency of
> appearing segfault was increased, ie previously it would take nearly 100
> reboots to observe a segfault, but now it would take nearly 10 reboots
> to observe a segfault!

I think all these implies some cache related issue (or hardware
issue).  I have seen such a strange errors (reserved instruction
exception, etc.) with a bit unstable power-supply.

Does your kernel based on vanilla 2.6.18?  It lacks some fixes related
D-cache aliasing.  It might be worth to try latest 2.6.18-stable or
master branch in linux-mips.org git tree.

---
Atsushi Nemoto