Re: Generating patches and using

To: Daniel Laird <>
Subject: Re: Generating patches and using
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:45:21 +0200
On Thu, 2007-06-28 15:37:06 +0100, Daniel Laird <> wrote:
> I ran as Ralf suggested before.
> - Line over 80 chars
> - printk must have KERN_ debug level
> - must have a space after this (, or *)
> - use tabs not spaces
> - Do not use C99 comments.
> To name but a few
> My question is:
> If you do a patch and find all these errors is it expected that I fix
> all these problems, or I just make sure my changes do not make it worse!

General rules of thumb:

  * Keep the coding style of the file if you're only doing minor
    patching. Don't introduce leading whitespace, leading tabs before
    spaces. Maybe keep the comment and indention style.

  * If it's more like a rewrite, fix it entirely.

      Jan-Benedict Glaw              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:                 Gib Dein Bestes. Dann übertriff Dich selbst!
the second  :