Generating patches and using checkpatch.pl

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Generating patches and using checkpatch.pl
From: Daniel Laird <daniel.j.laird@nxp.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 15:37:06 +0100
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I am trying to start feeding back various patches to do with supporting the hardware I work on. The company also decided upon a name change so I thought I would do this as well.
So I moved arch/mips/philips to arch/mips/nxp.

I generated a patch
I ran checkpatch.pl as Ralf suggested before.

I now have pages of errors in the patch

- Line over 80 chars
- printk must have KERN_ debug level
- must have a space after this (, or *)
- use tabs not spaces
- Do not use C99 comments.
To name but a few

My question is:
If you do a patch and find all these errors is it expected that I fix all these problems, or I just make sure my changes do not make it worse!

Dan