Re: "Segfault/illegal instruction" - udevd - ntpd - glibc

To: Sadarul Firos <sadarul.firos@nestgroup.net>
Subject: Re: "Segfault/illegal instruction" - udevd - ntpd - glibc
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:33:59 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 09:23:34PM +0530, Sadarul Firos wrote:

> I am working with two MIPS based boards (one is MIPS and the other is
> MIPSEL) running linux-2.6.18/glibc-2.3.5. I am performing a consecutive
> reboot test on these boards. After some number of reboots (say 80) I  am
> getting "segmentaion fault/illegal instruction" while running udevd and
> ntpd during bootup. Upon observing the core dump, it is noted that the
> segfault occured from the _init function of libnss_dns.so (in the case
> of ntpd) and libnss_compat.so (in the case of udevd). I assume that
> there might be a problem somewhere in the call_init function in
> glibc-2.3.5/elf/dl-init.c. After I put some printf statements for
> debugging in the call_init function, there is no segfault/illegal
> instruction in the reboot testing. I have also used gdb to debug the
> problem but the "segfault/illegal instruction" doesn't occur during the
> reboot test. Could anyone please help me to sort out this problem. The
> gdb output using coredump is attached.

Normally the address space layout and most other variables during a
program load should be identical each time so userspace should behave
identical.   So I sense the scent of a TLB or more likely cache managment
problem.

What 2.6.18 variant exactly are you running, that is where & when did
download it, what CPU?