[RFD] Clockevent support on MIPS

To: "Linux MIPS List" <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>, "Ralf Baechle" <ralf@linux-mips.org>, sshtylyov@ru.mvista.com, "Atsushi Nemoto" <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Subject: [RFD] Clockevent support on MIPS
From: "Franck Bui-Huu" <vagabon.xyz@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:55:54 +0200
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi all,

I sent this patch just for starting a discussion on the MIPS time
code rework.

Recently Ralf announced his start of work on "clockevent support". I
tried to write my own clockevent support by that time. I reuse some
part of Ralf's work but end up to remove more code. I left it in a
very unfinished state because I don't have a lot of time to spend on
it and it should be sufficient as a starting point.

There's only one timer_interrupt handler left. Since Linux generic
time code takes care, now, of SMP and others issues. I also removed the
hackish low level interrupt handler since I'm not sure it's a clear win.

All code dealing with hpt has been moved in a file called
"hpt.c". Therefore we can easily stop compiling this code on platforms
that don't have it or don't want to use it. For platforms that don't
use this timer, they need to add their own timer support, but with the
generic time code it now really easy, and code duplication should be
minimal.

I changed platform time init hooks since it seems to be the time for
that but I'm really not sure on that point though.

This patch is based on recent linux-mips repo
(linux-2.6.22-rc4-3-g38fc544) but I could rebase it on linux-time repo
if needed. If you want to compile/test it, you'll need to implement the
new platform hooks. It should be fairly simple for most of MIPS platforms...

Thanks,
--
              Franck