Re: 64-bit syscall ABI issue

Subject: Re: 64-bit syscall ABI issue
From: David Miller <>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 14:25:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Joseph S. Myers" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:56:57 +0000 (UTC)

[ added linux-arch which is a great place to discuss these
  kinds of issues. ]

> What should the kernel syscall ABI be in such cases (any case where the
> syscall implementations expect arguments narrower than registers, so
> mainly 32-bit arguments on 64-bit platforms)?  There are two obvious
> possibilities:

In general we've taken the stance that the syscall dispatch
should create the proper calling environment for C code
implementing the system calls, and this thus means properly
sign and zero extending the arguments as expected by the C
calling convention.