Re: PCI video card on SGI O2

Subject: Re: PCI video card on SGI O2
From: Alan Cox <>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 12:27:00 +0100
> 3) I tried a Voodoo 1, ATI Mach 64, S3 Virge DX, GX, etc., I actually have
> a Millenium I but it won't fit in the O2. I mention these since they were
> listed here as
> potentially working. I'm assuming I need more kernel support?
> Surprisingly, the character device drivers will compile and boot, and
> lspci and other tools will recognize the card as a VGA device. I just
> can't get a console or X to use them.

The voodoo1 and voodoo2 should work - they are not VGA devices and don't
have any compatibility vga gunk on them at all. You will need the voodoo
frame buffer and/or X server driver, neither of which needs BIOS support.
There is no 3D support on them as I could never be bothered to write the
3D engine bootstrap code.