Re: spi: Add support for au1550 spi controller

To: Jan Nikitenko <jan.nikitenko@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: spi: Add support for au1550 spi controller
From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:04:41 -0700
Cc: spi-devel-general@lists.sourceforge.net, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=pacbell.net; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:From:To:Subject:Date:User-Agent:Cc:References:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Disposition:Message-Id; b=ka5YtlRA8mszOAS0dZ0MlQjW0RyQus2+sjTOavMM3iDTYMy1gD9eWc9KlpykgfdYcaUGjuQ6vPjXw68xScbMq2KStvL6le0wh8Jea3xiX97d6JEIPXCwVGa0ltAPUvQJBXRH1lGxelhlpjHqVPb4ADppAEmJV/LOLAZgqBfuJik= ;
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Friday 27 April 2007, Jan Nikitenko wrote:

> As the spi clock of the controller depends on main input clock that
> shall be configured externally, platform data structure for au1550 spi
> controller driver contains mainclk_hz attribute to define the input
> clock hz ...

I suppose the only reason this isn't more or less just

        mainclk_hz = clk_get_rate(clk_get(hw->dev, "main"));

is that arch/mips/au1000/* doesn't support <linux/clk.h> yet...

In general I think it's much preferable to support that common
infrastructure than invent alternative solutions.  But I won't
be antisocial and try to hold back this driver on _that_ account!

But I will feel free to point out this particular bit of missing
infrastructure.  I hope that supporting it is on the agenda of
the MIPS subset of the embedded Linux world.  :)

- Dave