Re: Building 64 bit kernel on Cobalt

Subject: Re: Building 64 bit kernel on Cobalt
From: Atsushi Nemoto <>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:24:40 +0900 (JST)
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:47:32 -0400, Kumba <> wrote:
> Can someone review this patch for sanity?  It achieves my desire and
> lets IP32 boot using the way I've been told (BUILD_ELF64 + -msym32 +
> vmlinux.32).  Likely, it'll also do the same for Cobalt and IP22
> 64bit kernels (good luck getting those to work right anyways).

Let me ask again:  Why do you want to use CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64=y ?

If your board use CKSEG0 load address, I can not see any point setting
CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64=y.  I think the description in Kconfig (and the
name of CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 itself) should be changed to make people
enable it only if really needed.  And it is already done by Franck's
pending patchset.

Atsushi Nemoto