Re: How does boot loader pass initrd address / size to kernel?

To: "Thiemo Seufer" <ths@networkno.de>
Subject: Re: How does boot loader pass initrd address / size to kernel?
From: "Rajat Jain" <rajat.noida.india@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:38:43 +0530
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=c7C8AOi8RCG4HPKAxw6TyMhId6dnT8tFcLFRppN4Yg2eqAVxWMp8/uMfUUXzn5Jbdv4qhhWpOGnMgrmQDrMXgn5a1ZZLzJr9C0ns01yG+apG2pd7K2Sg+AqnZrQ+/Xd0XhOXp248GhTT59ut50LkBljn/vPGLKTLZDWTqGK0924=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On 3/15/07, Thiemo Seufer <ths@networkno.de> wrote:
Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Rajat Jain wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running an ancient Linux kernel 2.4.20 (please don't ask me why
> > :-( ) on a MIPS 4KEC. I am experimenting with initrd and my initrd
> > fails to mount. My bootloader (U-BOOT) coorectly loads the initrd into
> > RAM as I can see.
> >
> > I am wondering how does the kernel get to know the address at which
> > the initrd is loaded by boot loader? How does the boot loader
> > communicate this to the kernel?
> >
> > I can see that when emebedding root filesystem into kernel image, the
> > symbols __rd_start and __rd_end are defined by the linker script and
> > hence the kernel gets to know. However, how does this happen when
> > bootloader loads the ramdisk and needs to tell the kernel?
>
> http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Kernel_Command_Line_Arguments mentions
> rd_start and rd_size which are used for this purpose.

Ah thanks a lot ... this is what I was looking for.

Rajat