Re: Building 64 bit kernel on Cobalt

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: Building 64 bit kernel on Cobalt
From: Jim Gifford <>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:11:56 -0800
Cc: Linux MIPS List <>
Ralf Baechle wrote:
On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 03:18:45PM -0800, Jim Gifford wrote:

Last working Kernel was 2.6.19 series.

Some changes from 2.6.19 and the 2.6.20 make it impossible to build a 64 bit kernel to boot on the cobalt. Ya, I know why, building a N32 actually but need a 64 bit kernel in order to do that. Anyone got any suggestions. Looking through the difference between the kernels to figure this out, but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Any suggestions as to a starting point?

Try git-bisect to track down the changeset that broke things.

We got it nailed down to arch/mips/kernel /setup.c. But we have not isolated which change is actually causing it.

We do know that reverting back to the 2.6.19.x arch/mips/kernel /setup.c will fix the issue. We will continue to dwindle it down until we come up with the offender.