Re: [MIPS] Untangle the rest of the prom_printf mess and convert to earl

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: [MIPS] Untangle the rest of the prom_printf mess and convert to early printk
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 19:10:19 +0000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 06:55:30PM +0000, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> >  arch/mips/dec/prom/console.c             |   38 +--------
>
>  Any particular reason for replacing an optimised version with this
> miserable contraption?

I doubt anybody will notice when the first few lines of bootup messages
take a few cycles extra.  For the moment it did matter to get rid of
the impressive barbed wire fence made from several independant early
printk implementations and macros, functions and function pointers being
named prom_printf with no apparent pattern.

If you think the code really needs to be optimized as the next step, I
take patches.