Re: unaligned access

To: <ralf@linux-mips.org>, "Atsushi Nemoto" <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Subject: Re: unaligned access
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:18:59 +0100
Cc: <sathesh_edara2003@yahoo.co.in>, <rajat.noida.india@gmail.com>, <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
> So how about this interface?
>
> 1. echo show > /sys/kernel/unaligned_action
>
> Show register dump and processor name at each unaligned exception,
> using show_regs() or someting.
>
> 2. echo quiet > /sys/kernel/unaligned_action
>
> Siliently fixup unaligned exceptions.
>
> 3. cat /sys/kernel/unaligned_instructions
>
> Print unaligned_instructions variable.
>

> Creating files in /sys/kernel is fairly simple:
>
> subsys_create_file(&kernel_subsys, &foo_attr);
>
> Any comments?

One thing about the current, system-call based interface that is kind-of
cool, and different from both what you propose and what was described
as being implemented for ARM, is that Ralf's scheme is per-thread.
I don't know if that power really outweighs the ease-of-use aspect
of being able to manipuate it from the shell command line, but it's
not something to throw away lightly.  I have no issues with moving
the log data, should it be resurrected, from syslog to /sys/kernel/whatever,
though.

            Regards,

            Kevin K.