Re: unaligned access

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Subject: Re: unaligned access
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:06:45 +0000
Cc: sathesh babu <sathesh_edara2003@yahoo.co.in>, Rajat Jain <rajat.noida.india@gmail.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 04:06:57PM +0100, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> Default behavior in MIPS is to silently fix up and emulate.  A MIPS-specific
> system call (sys_sysmips with the command argument of MIPS_FIXADE
> and a parameter agument of zero) allows for this to be overridden, so that
> such accesses will be fatal.  It looks as if there was once support to log
> the events
> to syslog, independently of whether or not they were fixed up, but it doesn't
> look to me
> as if that still works in 2.6.x kernels.

There used to be a configuration option to allow logging which was a
leftover from the times when I implemented the unaligned emulation.  I
did never find it useful later on, so I removed that in almost 9 years
ago and nobody missed it since :-)

But I don't mind putting it back, controllable by sysctl if there is any
demand for it.