Re: not getting command prompt at the console

To: Rajat Jain <rajat.noida.india@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: not getting command prompt at the console
From: Erik Mouw <mouw@nl.linux.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:25:40 +0100
Cc: kernelnewbies <kernelnewbies@nl.linux.org>, newbie <linux-newbie@vger.kernel.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 03:19:10PM +0530, Rajat Jain wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just finished porting linux kernel 2.6.15 to a MIPS based board. The
> board now boots up beautifully ... and here is the console log:

[...]

> Next, I expected to see a command prompt which never comes. At this
> point if I debug, I find the processor executing the idle process.
>
> I am successfully hable to telnet to the board and fire whatever
> commands I want though. How do I bring the prompt to the serial
> console?

Run a getty on the serial device (I suppose you're using a serial
port).

> My root FS seems OK since the same root FS is working for the same
> board for an ancient kernel (2.4.20)

Could be that the serial driver changed or that you forgot to compile a
driver for the serial device.

Erik

--
They're all fools. Don't worry. Darwin may be slow, but he'll
eventually get them. -- Matthew Lammers in alt.sysadmin.recovery