Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.21

To: Heiko Carstens <>
Subject: Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.21
From: David Woodhouse <>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:32:07 +0000
On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 11:22 +0100, Heiko Carstens wrote:
> Which remembers me that I think that MIPS is using the non-compat version
> of sys_epoll_pwait for compat syscalls. But maybe MIPS doesn't need a compat
> syscall for some reason. Dunno.

It's OK as long as the 64-bit kernel, N32 and O32 userspace all agree
there there's 32 bits of padding between the fields of this structure:

struct epoll_event {
        __u32 events;
        __u64 data;

I suspect it's a fairly safe bet that N32 userspace agrees; if the O32
ABI is different then it would need the compat syscall.