Re: Embedding rootfs with kernel

To: Domen Puncer <domen.puncer@telargo.com>
Subject: Re: Embedding rootfs with kernel
From: Marc St-Jean <Marc_St-Jean@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 08:59:53 -0800
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I was also looking at initramfs but from documentation I found it,
appears to expand the cpio.gz into a tmpfs (i.e. RAM) before using
it.

Since the cpio.gz is embedded into the kernel (i.e. RAM again),
won't this take twice the memory relative to embedding a
cramfs/squashfs directly in the kernel?

We only need read-only access and I believe these file systems
can be read in their compressed form without expanding and
consuming more RAM.

Marc