Embedding rootfs with kernel

Subject: Embedding rootfs with kernel
From: Marc St-Jean <>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:41:34 -0800
What is the MIPS-way of embedding the rootfs with the kernel?

Our method involves modifying the linker script to pull in our
'romfs' section. I don't see any other platform code doing this so there must
be a more "standard" approach.

Apparently there was support in linux 2.4 (a patch possibly?) which would
look for supported file system magic numbers past the end of the kernel.
So you could just cat the rootfs to the end of the kernel binary and go
on with life.

I've tried this with code base and it doesn't appear to work.
Any pointers would be appreciated.