Advice on battery support [was: Advice on APM-EMU reunion]

To: Paul Mundt <>,,,
Subject: Advice on battery support [was: Advice on APM-EMU reunion]
From: Rodolfo Giometti <>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:59:04 +0100
On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 10:00:55AM +0900, Paul Mundt wrote:

> However, it has since been reposted:
> and merged back in to -mm. This is all post 2.6.20 stuff, though..

Ok, starting from these patches I'd like to add a "battery support" to
the kernel.

What I suppose to do is a new class with a proper methods useful to
collect several info on battery status, such as get_ac_line_status()
get_battery_status(), get_battery_flags(),
get_remaining_battery_life() and so on.

The output will be APM-like into file "/proc/apm" (one line per
battery, or just the "main"/first one?) so that existing applications
continue to work and under sysfs into "/sysfs/class/battery".

Is it sane? :)

Thanks in advance,

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:
Linux Device Driver
Embedded Systems
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127