Re: RFC: Sentosa boot fix

To: macro@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: RFC: Sentosa boot fix
From: Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 01:14:42 +0900 (JST)
Cc: vagabon.xyz@gmail.com, dan@debian.org, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, ralf@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:46:20 +0000 (GMT), "Maciej W. Rozycki"
<macro@linux-mips.org> wrote:
>  Well, the option used to select between 64-bit and 32-bit ELF for
> building 64-bit configurations.  I can see it has been changed from its
> original meaning and it now only controls whether "-mno-explicit-relocs"
> is passed to the compiler or not, which is sort of useless and certainly
> does not match the intent nor what the description says.  The 64-bit
> format is now used unconditionally and you can always pass such obscure
> options to the compiler on the make's command line, so instead of this fix
> I vote for complete removal of the BUILD_ELF64 option.

Though I do not know much about -mno-explicit-relocs,
CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 controls -msym32 option and this is the reason of
the tweak in __pa_page_offset().

I thought -msym32 can not be used for 64-bit kernels which do not have
CKSEG load address, but apparently IP27 is using -msym32 with XKPHYS
load address.  Hmm...

---
Atsushi Nemoto