Re: RFC: Sentosa boot fix

To: Franck Bui-Huu <vagabon.xyz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Sentosa boot fix
From: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:52:54 -0500
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, ralf@linux-mips.org, Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 10:59:37AM +0100, Franck Bui-Huu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 1/28/07, Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> wrote:
> >The problem is __pa_symbol(&_end); the kernel is linked at
> >0xffffffff80xxxxxx, so subtracting a PAGE_OFFSET of 0xa800000000000000
> >does not do anything useful to this address at all.
> >

> In my understanding, if your kernel is linked at 0xffffffff80xxxxxx,
> you shouldn't have CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 set.

What Maciej said.  But also: please compare the description of
CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 with the targets that link at that address.
Almost every supported target links at that address, except for
IP27.  How do any of them work today?

config BUILD_ELF64
        bool "Use 64-bit ELF format for building"
        depends on 64BIT
        help
          A 64-bit kernel is usually built using the 64-bit ELF binary object
          format as it's one that allows arbitrary 64-bit constructs.  For
          kernels that are loaded within the KSEG compatibility segments the
          32-bit ELF format can optionally be used resulting in a somewhat
          smaller binary, but this option is not explicitly supported by the
          toolchain and since binutils 2.14 it does not even work at all.

          Say Y to use the 64-bit format or N to use the 32-bit one.

          If unsure say Y.

% grep load- arch/mips/Makefile | grep ffffffff8 | wc
     55     165    2743

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery