Re: RFC: Sentosa boot fix

To: Franck Bui-Huu <vagabon.xyz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Sentosa boot fix
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:46:20 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, ralf@linux-mips.org, Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Franck Bui-Huu wrote:

> > The problem is __pa_symbol(&_end); the kernel is linked at
> > 0xffffffff80xxxxxx, so subtracting a PAGE_OFFSET of 0xa800000000000000
> > does not do anything useful to this address at all.
> >

> In my understanding, if your kernel is linked at 0xffffffff80xxxxxx,
> you shouldn't have CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 set.

 Well, the option used to select between 64-bit and 32-bit ELF for
building 64-bit configurations.  I can see it has been changed from its
original meaning and it now only controls whether "-mno-explicit-relocs"
is passed to the compiler or not, which is sort of useless and certainly
does not match the intent nor what the description says.  The 64-bit
format is now used unconditionally and you can always pass such obscure
options to the compiler on the make's command line, so instead of this fix
I vote for complete removal of the BUILD_ELF64 option.

  Maciej