Re: Choices choices...

To: Amarjit Sathi <>
Subject: Re: Choices choices...
From: Thiemo Seufer <>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:15:02 +0000
Amarjit Sathi wrote:
> I have been given an SGI Onyx2 rackmount system with 16 MIPS RS10000
> processors.

The graphics engine is not supported, the rest of the system is basically
an Origin 2000, which is semi-supported.

> I want to put linux on it and I was wondering if anyone had
> experience of linux on this system or would recommend a flavour of linux
>  for it.

The usual suspects for this are Gentoo Linux and Debian Linux.
AFAIK Gentoo has a live CD with precompiled Kernel, for Debian
you have to patch and build your own Kernel for now.

> I have a collection of RedHat servers at the moment so something that
> would allow me to integrate them would be good.

I don't know of a .rpm based Distribution which would support SGI Origin.