Re: 2.6.19 timer API changes

Subject: Re: 2.6.19 timer API changes
From: Daniel Laird <>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:46:24 -0800 (PST)

Atsushi Nemoto wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:37:17 -0800 (PST), Daniel Laird
> <> wrote:
>> Then I get  a normal startup.  i.e it boots fast (no 10second hang).  If
>> remove the write_c0_count then I get the 10 second hang.
> I think Kevin's analysis about this 10 second hang is correct.  Then I
> think my last patch will work as well.
>> I have no idea if gettimeofday is broken.  ANy ideas on testing this? Is
>> there a test package / application that will do this?  Before I write my
>> own
> Calling gettimeofday() continuously many times (at least some tick
> periods) and calculates times between each call.  Those differences
> should be almost same.  Of course you must run this program on very
> idle system (or you must raise its priority).
> ---
> Atsushi Nemoto
Thanks guys I can see how Kevin has come to his conclusion (On 10 secs And I
think I agree)!
I will try your 2nd proposed solution, I gave it a very quick go but it did
not work.  I will give this some proper time, I think some mips_clocksource
needed to be externed etc.  (and add linux/clocksource.h ) to
Hopefullly this will make it compile, and then I can trace the problem a bit
more.  It might be after Christmas though before I come back to this
Again cheers for the help.
Sent from the linux-mips main mailing list archive at