Re: 2.6.19 timer API changes

Subject: Re: 2.6.19 timer API changes
From: Atsushi Nemoto <>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:29:16 +0900 (JST)
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:52:36 +0300, Sergei Shtylyov <>
>     I would like to discourage you from repeating those JMR3927
> clocksource "tricks" when you have 3 spare count/compare regs. This
> will warrant troubles when clockevents support gets merged into
> mainline (in fact, it was not necessary even on JMR3927 which has 3
> timers). Although, if the timer isn't auto-reloading (I assume it
> isn't), the trick shouldn't be needed.

Indeed.  JMR3927 is not good for reference on writing new code.

Though I do not know the PNX8550 timer details, if writing to the
COMPARE reset the COUNTER or COUNTER wrapped to zero at a value in
COMPARE, perhaps we can not use c0_hpt_read for clocksource.

Atsushi Nemoto