Re: 2.6.19 timer API changes

To: danieljlaird@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: 2.6.19 timer API changes
From: Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:34:10 +0900 (JST)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 00:17:24 -0800 (PST), Daniel Laird
<danieljlaird@hotmail.com> wrote:
> When I run the kernel it hangs in the calibrate_delay function.
> Eventually the complete kernel does run but it runs very slow.
> This is usually an issue with the Timer Interuppt setup etc.  But I have
> looked at the other MIPS ports and seem to have made the same changes.
>
> On the PNX8550 it does not use the CP0 timer but use a different timer (the
> Custom MIPS core has 3 extra timers)

Hmm, do the TIMER1 and CP0_COUNTER run at same speed?  If no, the
PNX8550 port should be broken (i.e. gettimeofday() did not work
properly) even without the timer API changes.  You should provide
custom clocksource.mips_read (previously named mips_hpt_read) function
which returns TIMER1 counter value.  If the TIMER1 was not 32-bit
free-run counter, some trick would be required.  Refer sb1250 or
jmr3927 for example.

---
Atsushi Nemoto