2.6.19 timer API changes

Subject: 2.6.19 timer API changes
From: Daniel Laird <>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:15:01 -0800 (PST)
Hi All,

I am porting the Philips/PNX8550 kernel from to 2.6.19.  I am
having some issues:
One issue I am having is with the new Timer API that replaced the board
specific API.

I have made all of the important changes
board_timer_setup -> plat_timer_setup

When I run the kernel it hangs in the calibrate_delay function.
Eventually the complete kernel does run but it runs very slow.
This is usually an issue with the Timer Interuppt setup etc.  But I have
looked at the other MIPS ports and seem to have made the same changes.

On the PNX8550 it does not use the CP0 timer but use a different timer (the
Custom MIPS core has 3 extra timers)

I replaced the arch/mips/kernel/time.c with a merge between and
2.6.19 and I can get the kernel to boot at the correct speed straight
through the calibrate_delay function and the entire system seems to be
working correctly.

I was wondering if anyone might have any ideas on how to debug this problem
as I would like a clean port to 2.6.19.
Maybe the new timer code will not work properly on the PNX8550 in which case
maybe some patches are required.

I am continuing to debug at my end and once I have a working system with the
smallest set of changes to the time.c file I will post them in the hope that
someone will point out a silly error I have made in the CPU/board setup.

In the mean time any helpful ideas on debugging, tracing, even solving this
issue would be really appreciated

Sent from the linux-mips main mailing list archive at