Re: The difference between mips*-gnu and mips*-linux when configure tool

To: "Fu, He Wei PSE NKG" <hewei.fu@siemens.com>
Subject: Re: The difference between mips*-gnu and mips*-linux when configure tool-chain
From: Thiemo Seufer <ths@networkno.de>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 12:43:56 +0000
Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Fu, He Wei PSE NKG wrote:
> Thanks, sorry for I missed the mips*-elf for mips*-gnu.
>
> I think that for ld,the difference between mips*-elf and mips*-linux
> produces only some minor impact on the default ld script, for the
> behavior of ld itself, it has not serious impact.Is it my understanding
> correct?
>
> But for bfd, does the difference of these two config-choice have impact
> on the behavior of two different bfd-target? .

For both cases the resulting object file layout is different. mips*-elf
uses SGI-style, mips*-linux uses "traditional" style. I expect the
"traditional" format to get better long-term maintenance.

For a stand-alone bootloader both do for now, but I would prefer
mips*-linux since it eliminates the need for one extra compiler
when building a Linux environment.

Thiemo