Re: Problems booting Linux 2.6.18.1 on MIPS34K core

To: Trevor_Hamm@pmc-sierra.com
Subject: Re: Problems booting Linux 2.6.18.1 on MIPS34K core
From: Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:13:14 +0900 (JST)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:23:58 -0800, Trevor Hamm <Trevor_Hamm@pmc-sierra.com>
wrote:
> > Just for confirm:
> > 1. This can happen on latest lmo git tree or 2.6.19-rc5.
> > 2. UP kernel.
> > 3. No L2 cache.
> > 4. icache and dcache are both virtually indexed and physically tagged.
> > All correct?
> >

> Except for #1 which I haven't tried (we need to get this working
> with 2.6.18), all correct.  The caches are 64k, 4-way.

Thanks.  I re-read your report and wonder why this happens only on
power-up time.

If flush_data_cache_page or update_mmu_cache were broken, the problem
can happen on every restart.

The entire icache/dcache should be cleared at end of r4k_cache_init()
at least.  MIPS34K could have some magical state (lock bit or
something) which is not initialized by local_r4k___flush_cache_all()?

---
Atsushi Nemoto