Re: oprofile configure?

To: "Azer, William" <>
Subject: Re: oprofile configure?
From: Jim Wilson <>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:49:18 -0700
On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 10:34 -0400, Azer, William wrote:
> i have natively built oprofile for sb1 platform and i get a lot of
> warnings from the compiler.  i had to use --disable-werror in order to
> build.  has anyone encountered this?  am i doing something wrong?

You didn't mention the oprofile version, the gcc version, or the kernel
version, which are the important bits here.  I can see from the error
messages that you have gcc-3.4.3, and a montavista kernel.
I tried oprofile-0.9.2.  I was unable to get -Werror used in the
compiler.  Looking at the configure script, I see that -Werror is
disabled unless you have a snapshot from the cvs tree.  Not even
--enable-werror can turn it on.  I'm guessing that you are using the cvs

This looks like a bug in the gcc that you are using.  I can't reproduce
it on other systems, but I can reproduce it on a similar MontaVista
system.  I can't reproduce it with later FSF gcc releases on the same
MontaVista system.  It isn't immediately obvious what changed to fix
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support,