Kernel debugging question

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Kernel debugging question
From: Jonathan Day <imipak@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:39:31 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi,

So that I can stop pestering the list with kernel
boot-time problems that (from the looks of it) aren't
easily reproduced or tracked, I'd like a few
suggestions on how to diagnose these sorts of problems
myself.

Specifically, there seem to be two areas that jam up
most often - kernel initialization and between freeing
up the memory & running the MIPS FPU emulator.

Are there any specific debug flags I can set in the
kernel that will dump to the console (which is on the
serial port) more detailed information on what is
going on at these times?

Alternatively, I've had problems getting the kernel to
link to a debugger live (eg: gdb), but presumably
there are ways to do effective non-live debugging.
What experience do people have with doing this?

Jonathan Day