vmlinux and umon

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: vmlinux and umon
From: Carlos Mitidieri <carlos.mitidieri@sysgo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:12:16 +0200
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi List,

As I posted some days ago, I am porting the kernel 2.6.15 to a CSB655 board.

I am trying to boot a vmlinux image from the umon that came with the board
without sucess: The kernel crashes when setup_arch() is called in
start_kernel() function (init/main.c), without any output to the console from
the printk()'s that are just before setup_arch().

What I could devise until now is that there is a mismatch between the memory
mappings of umon and linux. The umon  sets  RAMBASE  to 0xa0000000, and loads
applications to addresses above 0xa0300000, only. Linux-mips sets PAGE_OFFSET
to 0x80000000 and assumes that the kernel is loaded in KSEG0 (correct me
please if I am saying something that is not true).

Now, if set LOADADD e.g. to 0xa0400000 in arch/mips/Makefile, the vmlinux
booting fails for a more or less obvious reason (mismatch to PAGE_OFFSET).
But if I adjust the PAGE_OFFSET to match the umon's mapping (i.e. to 0xa000
0000) the kernel booting. In both cases at the same point described above.

What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance  and best regards.

--
Carlos Mitidieri