Re: unmatched R_MIPS_HI16/LO16 on gcc 3.4.3

To: wyb@topsec.com.cn
Subject: Re: unmatched R_MIPS_HI16/LO16 on gcc 3.4.3
From: Thiemo Seufer <ths@networkno.de>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:34:31 +0100
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
wyb@topsec.com.cn wrote:

> Attachment is a testsuit. It costed me a week to make this testsuit.

FWIW, I can't reproduce the failure with Debian's gcc 3.4.6.
ISTR this bug was fixed in later 3.4.x versions.

> If I added -mno-explicit-relocs -mno-split-addresses to makefile, this bug
> disappeared. Is there any performance difference with and without these
> flags ?

-mno-explicit-relocs will degrade the efficiency of the compiler's
instruction scheduling since some macro expansions are left to the
assembler in that case. It will likely affect both execution speed
and code size.

Thiemo