Re: is sde lite a complete toolchain?

To: Shan Wang <>
Subject: Re: is sde lite a complete toolchain?
From: Thiemo Seufer <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:17:15 +0100
Shan Wang wrote:
> Hi all,
> I downloaded the SDE lite toolchain from MIPS Technologies. I can use
> the makefiles to build all the examples come with the package and test
> them with the simulator. But when I tried to use sde-gcc to cross
> compile the hello world example directly:

Note that those examples are for a bare-metal embedded system without OS,
they won't work on Linux/MIPS.

> sde-gcc -Wall -mips32 -mtune=4kc -EL hello.c -o hello

Also, sde-gcc is a compiler for embedded ELF targets, it won't produce
Linux binaries.

> I got errors like the following:
> /home/linuxdev/packages/sde-lite-linux/bin/../lib/gcc/sde/3.4.4/../../..
> /../sde/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol __start;
>  defaulting to 0000000080020000
> /tmp/ccEaLxlW.o: In function `main':
> hello.c:(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `printf'
> hello.c:(.text+0x20): relocation truncated to fit: R_MIPS_26 against
> `printf'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This is the expected result, since your command line misses to include
the necessary libraries and the board support package.

> Does that mean the SDE lite package is not a complete cross toolchain,
> can I use it to compile my own application?

This depends on what your target platform is. If it is Linux/MIPS, you
may want to have a look at