explaination of some gcc functions

To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: explaination of some gcc functions
From: "kernel coder" <lhrkernelcoder@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 11:32:26 +0500
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
hi,
    I'm trying to understand the backend code of gcc for MIPS
architecture.I'm having some trouble while understanding following
functions.

1:  push_topmost_sequence();
2: emit_insn_after(seq,get_insns());
3: pop_topmost_sequence();
4: emit_insn_before

Would you please explain what's the role of each function.