Re: au1000_lowlevel_probe on au1000_eth.c

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: au1000_lowlevel_probe on au1000_eth.c
From: Ulrich Eckhardt <eckhardt@satorlaser.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:36:08 +0200
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tuesday 27 June 2006 00:14, Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> I notice that during sleep/wakeup au1000_lowlevel_probe() tries to
> access to variables arcs_cmdline,prom_envp & Co.. This sometime does
> an oops.
>
> What I like to understand is if I simply have to skip accessing to
> these variables during wake up or I have to save them during system
> boot or what...?

What is the _right_ thing is difficult to answer, but the reasons for the oops
are simple (at least they were on the platform I used): you have more than
one device connected to the same system bus. In my case, it was the boot-PROM
and (I think) the PCMCIA memory. So, in practice one could only access one of
the two and you had to toggle between them. I'm not sure it is worth the
hassle of toggling (and doing so in an orderly fashion!), I'd rather parse
the PROM once and then store the results in RAM.

HTH

Uli

Visit our website at <http://www.domino-printing.com/>
This Email and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any reading, redistribution, disclosure or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient please contact the sender immediately and delete the
material from your computer.

E-mail may be susceptible to data corruption, interception, viruses and
unauthorised amendment and Domino UK Limited does not accept liability for any
such corruption, interception, viruses or amendment or their consequences.