Re: smc91x ethernet an DBAU1200

To: Daniel Mack <daniel@caiaq.de>
Subject: Re: smc91x ethernet an DBAU1200
From: Johannes Stezenbach <js@linuxtv.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 22:48:35 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi Daniel,

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006, Daniel Mack wrote:
is there anyone out there successfully using the SMC 91C111 ethernet chip on AMD's DBAU1200 eval kit? In my setup here, it's working fine from within the YAMON boot loader so I can use it to download a kernel image via TFTP.
The kernel (bleeding edge linux-2.6 mips-GIT) detects the device as well

        smc91x.c: v1.1, sep 22 2004 by Nicolas Pitre <nico@cam.org>
        eth0: SMC91C11xFD (rev 1) at b9000300 IRQ 65 [nowait]
        eth0: Ethernet addr: 00:00:1a:19:11:8c

and is able to mount its root filesystem via NFS. However, the communication does not seem to be sufficiently stable, messages like this occur regularily:

        nfs: server 192.168.1.200 not responding, still trying
        nfs: server 192.168.1.200 not responding, still trying

I had similar issues with smc91x.c on a different platform,
where the bus it is connected to was rather slow (and no DMA)
-> dropped packets.

Try to use NFS via TCP, or force a 10Mbit connection
with ethtool or by hacking the driver (ctl_rspeed).
(For me tcp works.)

HTH,
Johannes