smc91x ethernet an DBAU1200

Subject: smc91x ethernet an DBAU1200
From: Daniel Mack <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:20:19 +0200
Hi list,

is there anyone out there successfully using the SMC 91C111 ethernet chip on AMD's DBAU1200 eval kit? In my setup here, it's working fine from within the YAMON boot loader so I can use it to download a kernel image via TFTP.
The kernel (bleeding edge linux-2.6 mips-GIT) detects the device as well

        smc91x.c: v1.1, sep 22 2004 by Nicolas Pitre <>
        eth0: SMC91C11xFD (rev 1) at b9000300 IRQ 65 [nowait]
        eth0: Ethernet addr: 00:00:1a:19:11:8c

and is able to mount its root filesystem via NFS. However, the communication does not seem to be sufficiently stable, messages like this occur regularily:

        nfs: server not responding, still trying
        nfs: server not responding, still trying

As the machine acts as NFS server for several other linux embedded systems, I don't suspect it to be the problem. Also, things like cables etc have been
properly checked.

Before I'm starting research, I'd like to know whether this is a known
issue or whether there are any mandatory settings I missed.

Thanks for any hint,