Re: i2c-algo-ite and i2c-ite planned for removal

To: Jean Delvare <>
Subject: Re: i2c-algo-ite and i2c-ite planned for removal
From: Pete Popov <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:45:58 +0300
On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 22:29 +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Pete,
> > > So basically we have two drivers in the kernel tree for 5 years or so,
> > > which never were usable, and nobody seemed to care.
> >
> > For historical correctness, this driver was once upon a time usable,
> > though it was a few years ago. It was written by MV for some ref board
> > that had the ITE chip and it did work. That ref board is no longer
> > around so it's probably safe to nuke the driver.
> In which kernel version? In every version I checked (2.4.12, 2.4.30,
> 2.6.0 and 2.6.16) it wouldn't compile due to struct iic_ite being used
> but never defined (and possibly other errors, but I can't test-compile
> the driver.)

Honestly, I don't remember. I think it was one of the very first 2.6
kernels because when MV first released a 2.6 product, 2.6 was still
'experimental'. It's quite possible of course that the driver was never
properly merged upstream in the community tree(s). But I do know that it
worked in the internal MV tree and an effort was made to get the driver
accepted upstream.