Re: Ethernet bridging on 2.6.12-rc3 (PMC-sierra patched)

To: Roman Mashak <>
Subject: Re: Ethernet bridging on 2.6.12-rc3 (PMC-sierra patched)
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:51:56 +0100
On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 06:02:08PM +0900, Roman Mashak wrote:

> I was observing this strange problem today while verifying performance of
> Sequoia board.
> Initial conditions:
> 1) 2.6.12-rc3_L002 kernel from PMCS ftp, compiled for 32bit mode
> 2) bridge code is compiled into kernel
> 3) four 100Mbps ethernet devices and one onboard Gigabit link are joined
> into bridge using bridge-utils-1.1
> 4) I connected board gigabit link to SmartBit Gb interface and four 100mbps
> links to SmartBit FastEthernet interfaces
> But 'brctl showmacs br0' shows only fast ethernet links being learned, but
> never gigabit. We have suspicion that Titan driver affects this somehow.

The Titan driver (the version on and any other version I've
seen) are pretty broken and remarkably ugly pieces of code.  The authors
of the Basler eXcite platform have contributed their driver and I hope it
will show up upstream soon.  Afaik it has not been tested with any of
PMC's eval boards but the necessary changes should not be hard.