Re: "undefined symbol" on 2.6.14

To: Roman Mashak <mrv@corecom.co.kr>
Subject: Re: "undefined symbol" on 2.6.14
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:53:16 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 07:53:01PM +0900, Roman Mashak wrote:

> I compiled driver as a module (for our own device) for MIPS target. At
>
> unresolved symbol 'mips_hpt_frequency'
>
> Modules.symvers which contains symbols doesn't have reference for
> 'mips_hpt_frequency'. Doesn it mean it's supposed to be exported with
> EXPORT_SYMBOL or my problem's reason lies on another layer?

The symbol isn't export simply because it wasn't considered useful to
export it.  The expected use of mips_hpt_frequency is to initialize it
in the platform code as system startup time to the counter frequency,
then not look at it again.

I wonder how you're using it in your module?

Any export I would add - as per general policy for the kernel - an
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL btw.