Re: where I can find a crosscompiler for BCM1255

To: Jim Gifford <maillist@jg555.com>
Subject: Re: where I can find a crosscompiler for BCM1255
From: Jonathan Day <imipak@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:13:20 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

--- Jim Gifford <maillist@jg555.com> wrote:

> Jonathan Day wrote:
> > I have built cross-compilers for the Broadcom
> BCM1250
> > using the instructions and patches on the "Linux
> From
> > Scratch" website. You need to look for the
> > cross-compiler version of their guide, then select
> > "browse online" and finally "mips64" to get to the
> > instructions/patches for building for the 64-bit
> MIPS
> > platforms.
> >
> > Do NOT use their kernel or kernel patches - use
> the
> > version in the git repository on linux-mips.
> >

> Johnathan, I'm on of the developers of CLFS, did you
>  run into a problem
> with the patches? The patch is diff  kernel.org and
> linux-mips.org
> kernels. Just curious, if we missed something let me
> know.

No, the patches are fine. The problem is "Rapid
Development Syndrome" - no matter how fast the patches
are updated, critical bugfixes will likely work their
way into the git repository before the next patch
update. This isn't a big issue for 99.99% of the tools
- there, updates are as likely to cause problems as
fix them, so the delay is actually beneficial.

(Now, -configuring- the Linux kernel can be
interesting, as I've yet to get dialog to function
correctly...)

Jonathan