Re: N32 sigset and __COMPAT_ENDIAN_SWAP__

To: Daniel Jacobowitz <>
Subject: Re: N32 sigset and __COMPAT_ENDIAN_SWAP__
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 18:36:58 +0100
Cc: "Joseph S. Myers" <>,
On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 01:03:10PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Anyway, I was curious if you knew where this code had come from.  I
> didn't see anything to suggest that anyone besides mipsel ever
> used it, but it entered via a merge from,
> just before git history.
> Oh, right, there's a historical import:

> It was copied from sys32_rt_sigtimedwait, which was wrong at least back
> to the initial revision of signal32.c.  I didn't go back any further.

I can further track it into 2.4 or even pre-2.4 where such
__MIPSEB__ / __MIPSEL__ dependencies did exist under arch/mips64/.
I think it was right until a certain point in 2.5 when
get_sigset and put_sigset were implement in a clever way that
automatically takes care of the endianess issue - but the swapping code
outside arch/mips got forgotten.