Tg3 driver problem on 2.6.12-rc3 (Sequoia)

To: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Tg3 driver problem on 2.6.12-rc3 (Sequoia)
From: "Roman Mashak" <mrv@corecom.co.kr>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 12:37:02 +0900
Cc: "Raj Palani" <Rajesh_Palani@pmc-sierra.com>
Fl-build: Fidolook 2002 (SL) 6.0.2800.86 - 14/6/2003 22:16:25
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hello,

a few days ago I was asking about bcm5700 driver problems and I got recommendations to use tg3 driver shipped with kernel. I did it and faced serious issues. Here's the story.

1) took 2.6.12-rc_L002 patched by PMC-sierra and compiled in 32bit mode
2) compiled tg3 driver as module
3) booted Sequoia board with this kernel
4) set up bridge between one of on-board interface (Titan GE) and Broadcom external NIC, get mysterious warning:

bridge: can't decode speed from eth2: 0

eth2 is Broadcom interface

5) at this stage I connect Sequoia's GE interfaces to SmartBit gigabit interfaces, to measure throughput between two gigabit links in bridge mode. So, both interfaces are working well (I can ping SmartBit and vice versa). But I traffic's coming only in one direction and never through the bridge, so 'brctl showmacs br0' always show only one SmartBit MAC address learned.

I configured bridge accroding to documentation (I made sure bridge is enabled in kernel):
#brctl addbr br0
#brctl addif br0 eth1    #titan GE
#brctl addif br0 eth2    #broadcom
#ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 up