Location of PCI setup code

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Location of PCI setup code
From: Thomas Koeller <thomas.koeller@baslerweb.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 22:46:17 +0200
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi,

the PCI setup code for a platform is conventionally located in arch/mips/pci.
I fail to see the benefits of separating this particular part of a platform's
setup from the rest. The PCI setup code will in general contain references to
platform-specific information, such as the overall address space layout, of
which the PCI memory and I/O pages are a part. If the PCI setup code were in
the platform subdirectory, sharing this information by means of a
platform-local header file would be easy. But with the PCI code in
arch/mips/pci, this becomes more difficult. The platform header could be
located somewhere outside the platform's directory, maybe under
'include' (where?), or referenced via an ugly relative path like
'../../vendor/platform/platform.h'. All this seems rather clumsy to me. No
other part of a platform's initialization is separated from the rest in a
similar way, so what is so special about PCI setup that it cannot be in the
platform directory, thereby avoiding all these annoyances?

tk

--
Thomas Koeller, Software Development

Basler Vision Technologies