Location of PCI setup code

Subject: Location of PCI setup code
From: Thomas Koeller <>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 22:46:17 +0200

the PCI setup code for a platform is conventionally located in arch/mips/pci.
I fail to see the benefits of separating this particular part of a platform's
setup from the rest. The PCI setup code will in general contain references to
platform-specific information, such as the overall address space layout, of
which the PCI memory and I/O pages are a part. If the PCI setup code were in
the platform subdirectory, sharing this information by means of a
platform-local header file would be easy. But with the PCI code in
arch/mips/pci, this becomes more difficult. The platform header could be
located somewhere outside the platform's directory, maybe under
'include' (where?), or referenced via an ugly relative path like
'../../vendor/platform/platform.h'. All this seems rather clumsy to me. No
other part of a platform's initialization is separated from the rest in a
similar way, so what is so special about PCI setup that it cannot be in the
platform directory, thereby avoiding all these annoyances?

Thomas Koeller, Software Development

Basler Vision Technologies
An der Strusbek 60-62
22926 Ahrensburg