Re: 2.6 for DECstation, d-i

To: Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>
Subject: Re: 2.6 for DECstation, d-i
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 19:14:22 +0100 (BST)
Cc: Karel van Houten <Karel@vhouten.xs4all.nl>, debian-mips@lists.debian.org, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 11 May 2006, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> >    * You don't seem to have included the DEC serial drivers and console
> >      support for the /260, because after the prom-io I loose all output
> >      on the serial line (my /260 has serial console only).
>
> Zilog Z8530 support for DECstation hasn't been ported to 2.6 yet.

 Well, not exactly ported, but hacked up enough it worked the last time I
tried, but you have to disable the virtual terminal (CONFIG_VT) as it is
the keyboard driver (lk201) that has not been ported at all.  If in doubt,
please start with "decstation_defconfig", that should build and boot
successfully, and work from there.

> >    * When I let it boot without console, it will happily go multiuser.
> >      See boot messages below.
> >    * My second SCSI card does not seem to work as it should. Works OK
> >      under 2.4.27.
>
> Maciej, do you have any idea?

 I have a PMAZ-A around, though I am not sure if I have everything needed
to wire it to a device (hmm, I should probably make sure if I am to be
serious about adding support for the PMAZC...).  Meanwhile I can have a
look at the source code to see if there is anything obviously wrong there.

  Maciej