Re: Linux-2.6.16 on DB1100

To: safiudeen Ts <safiudeen@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Linux-2.6.16 on DB1100
From: Freddy Spierenburg <freddy@dusktilldawn.nl>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 12:12:33 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi Safiudeen,

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 09:10:34AM +0000, safiudeen Ts wrote:
> please tell me wether I should apply any patches to this Linux-2.6.16
> kernel to make it works with db1100
There do not exist patches that will help you with your problem.
I do not know at the moment what exactly goes wrong, but I have a
2.6.16 kernel running on a db1100 without your problems. There do
exist some small problems with the standard 2.6.16 git, but they
are not related to your problem (IMHO).

To help you out a bit I have put a minimal working kernel at

        http://snarl.nl/~freddy/misc/mips.linux-2.6.16-minimal/

Try the srec file and see what happens. Use the YAMON commands
below, althought I tried your command's too and it booted.
Althought it gave a kernel panic, since it was obviously not able
to mount a root partition. This is because your command (the
start environment variable in YAMON) is not compatible with the
setup I have over here.

        YAMON> load tftp://192.168.0.5/vmlinux-2.6.16-minimal.srec
        YAMON> go .

If this works for you, you can find at the URL mentioned above
the config file I used to build the kernel and that should
provide you with a starting point to continue exploring the
system.
At that same URL are two small patches that should solve the
small problems with the standard 2.6.16 git I mentioned before.

Good luck!

--
$ cat ~/.signature
Freddy Spierenburg <freddy@dusktilldawn.nl>  http://freddy.snarl.nl/