Re: How can I use DBAu1550 UART3 instead of UART0?

To: "Charles C.K.Lai" <cklai@itri.org.tw>
Subject: Re: How can I use DBAu1550 UART3 instead of UART0?
From: Freddy Spierenburg <freddy@dusktilldawn.nl>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 10:15:37 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi Charles,

I'm not sure what you try to accomplish, so I'll try to answer
your question in two ways.

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 03:52:08PM +0800, Charles C.K.Lai wrote:
> If I'd like to build my kernel starting with UART port 3,
> not starting with UART port 0,
Do you want UART port 3 to become /dev/ttyS0 and completely
ignore the fact that your CPU has a UART port 0 and 1 too? So you
just only want to use 1 UART namely port 3 of you CPU?
If this is the case you can start fiddling around with
drivers/serial/8250_au1x00.c and also have a loog at
include/asm/mach-au1x00/au1000.h

If you just want to have your serial console on UART port 3
instead of port 0 you have to do a little bit more. First you
need to tell yamon (the bootloader I expect you to use) to use
UART port 3 instead of port 0 and then you just boot the kernel
with the console= option. See Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
for more information.

Hope this will help. Otherwist try to explain a little bit more
thoroughly what you try to accomplish. Good luck!

--
$ cat ~/.signature
Freddy Spierenburg <freddy@dusktilldawn.nl>  http://freddy.snarl.nl/