module allocation

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: module allocation
From: moreau francis <francis_moreau2000@yahoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:04:17 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi

Maybe a silly question...why do we use mapped memory (allocated by
vmalloc) for inserting a module into the kernel ?

I can see only drawbacks:

  - It consumes TLB entries,

  - When accessing to the module's code, we use TLB entries which can
    be bad for interrupt latencies. For instance: if the module has an
    interrupt handler and the module's code in still not mapped in the
    TLB, we got a page fault...

  - Modules are usually loaded at startup, at this time the memory
    should not be fragmented.

Thanks