mips kernel modules are very big, any suggestions on reducing their size

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: mips kernel modules are very big, any suggestions on reducing their size
From: "D.J. Barrow" <barrow_dj@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 01:28:19 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi,
For every external symbol in a module.
Because of the -mlong-calls gcc option you have
2 relocation entries am R_MIPS_HI_16 R_MIPS_LO_16 entry.
A string table entry for the symbol & three instructions
for each jump or call. We can eliminate the string table
entry by making as many functions as possible static
but this means changing investigating every source file
of which there are around 100.

It would save a fortune in space if we were allowed
link into the kernel but the module is from broadcom
& we are not allowed to do this.

If anyone has any good suggestions I would be very greatful.

D.J. Barrow Linux kernel developer
eMail: dj_barrow@ariasoft.ie
Work:+44-1274-538401
Home: +353-22-47196.